Thursday, February 26, 2009

Baguettes and Seagulls on the Sea

This is so late, but it's better late than never. I still haven't collected all photo documentation of the Cruisical 2009 yet, but there's no way I'm downloading one more picture on here. It all started when Cali tried to surprise a Schoeny with a cruise for his graduation present. So much for surprise, because I believe they were both trying to convince us to go with them for the previous 4 months. So we caved...thinking we could back out up until the last week...and then we didn't back out so we went...and boy did we have fun! I felt like a rich spoiled brat, and I sort of felt bad with the way everyone on the ship is there to serve you...literally, I think some of them would have kissed my feet if I asked them to. It made me grateful for a few things...such as...the abundant country we live in, a large living space, and the fact that I DON'T work on a cruise ship. I couldn't handle serving at Los Hermanos for a year and a half, I wouldn't survive even one cruise. People are so spoiled, it's ridiculous...and I was one of those for a week!

So anyway, I've loaded lots 'o pics...let's see if I can get the words to line up with them...



We stopped at good ole' In-N-Out in St. George. Did you hear they are building one in Draper? Man, that city's got everything now! We stayed the night at Cali's friend's in LA, and were treated to an Office 1 Hour special! It was such a good episode too. Then we made our way to the giant vessel the next morning.

So we took our own tour of the ship when we first boarded. We were so confused. It took me a long time to figure out how the floors worked and how to get back to our room. So we got to endulge in the 'Embarkation' special. That's where they do a Titanic Drill in case the giant boat sinks in the vast ocean. Jeffey looked so snuggly in his life jacket.


We checked out what the ship had to offer, and there was lots...but lots more if you like to drink and gamble and stay up real late eating and drinking until you want to die. Which we did not entirely do.

Cali was brave and sang 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' in the Karaoke lounge. She did real good! Let's just take a moment to remember Chris and Mindy...I think they spent their whole cruise in that lounge, and don't forget Alvincible!

We walked from Aft to Bow and leaned over the edges. I have no idea how something so huge can actually float and maneuver in the water. We contemplated the whole time whether or not you would survive a dive from the top of the boat.


This was the most censored picture I have of these two...They were awfully in love... most of the time.
These seagulls were horrible. We met them during our first meal on the ship. But they did provide great entertainment, especially when you're sitting next to a lesbian PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) couple. If you click on the picture you can actually see one of the millions of ice chunks Jeff threw at them.

This is on the way inland to Catalina Island. 26.3 miles away from California and it took us all night to get there? Our comedian asked if we were doing donuts in the ocean, but I think he was right. It was such a beautiful day though.
We rented a golf cart and drove ourselves around the lil' place. We took the tour that other people payed $80 per person to do, and the golf cart was much more fun. Ask Jeff about his stopping in the middle of the road abilities....
We climbed to the top of the Catalina Mound...all 4 of us on the golf cart...I didn't know if we were gonna make it through a few slopes. That's our cruise ship hanging out in the ocean behind us.
The next day we were at Ensenada, just barely Mexico. We decided not to pay millions of peso's for tours there either so we rented a car. We took ourselves to La Bufadora...aka the Blowhole. And it did. Or didn't. The Blowhole was not blowing and therefore was not very legit.

We did some bartering of course. Jeff got a supposedly $27.00 wallet for $8.00, some sandals for Keizya, and I thought it would be so cute if Keizya got a souvenir...her name on a grain of rice of course! This is the amigo who made it. I paid $2 for it...hmmm? Grain of rice=less than a penny, squirt of baby oil=less than a penny, string=less than a penny, vile so tiny you can barely hold it=less than a penny. So I pretty much got taken advantage of there. Especially since Keizya already broke the thing.

We made it back to ship on time. What do you suppose would happen if the ship left you? Walk home? I guess we weren't that far away. Ensenada...was just like any other Mexican town I've been to...I'll stop there. But look at the pretty lights!


Are 2 bags really necessary Nikki? Yes, my purse and camera went with me every step of the cruise. Hence the reason I have so many blasted pictures.


Cali, Schoeny and Jeffrey ate at least 15 of these twisty cones. Every time we passed through the Paris Restaurant...'I want my twisty!'...and Jeff won the prize for the tallest consumed twisty! Congratulations! Your prize was a toilet of poo!



The day we were at sea I woke up at the but crack of dawn, literally, to go see the sunrise. I've always wanted to shoot the sunrise over the ocean....and I did! It was absolutely gorgeous! The windchill was a bit nippy...but it was worth it. I stayed on the bow of the toppest floor of the ship for a while and it was so peaceful. Everyone who did not join me that morning missed out!
This is the same morning, about 15 minutes later. These are raw pictures...no digital fixations!
I have a slight obsession with sunrise/sunset pics...one day I'll get one good enough to blow up and frame.

We were going to lay out on the boat all day, but sadly, a little rain cloud wanted to play more than we did. So we did some miniature golf instead. This purple ball is mine. I got a hole in one on my first try....it sat there while....

Jeffrey and Schoeny tried 80 million times to get a hole in one...and to no avail...I won!

This was our last night of dinner with Paul. Readers, meet Paul. Paul was from the Phillipines, along with half of the Cruise Crew. He spoke Tagalog, along with 1/4 of the Cruise Crew and Schoeny. Schoeny taught us a little sumn sumn....it goes like this...
PING PONG, DOLLY WONG....BAGUETTE! Translation: I want a baguette. I had no idea Jeff liked baguettes so much. They come by your table with a selection of breads...Jeff only wanted baguettes, every time...multiple baguettes.
So here they are, in all their glory. Baguettes. They were delicious. But I honestly had no idea it was humanly possible to consume so many in 3 days.
I took pictures of all the fancy meals. My Chilled Strawberry Soup was a classic. Paul brought it out in a giant bowl. There was a few mint leaves and one finely chopped strawberry...that's it. Nobody knew what to think....then trickster Paul came out with a little pitcher full of the liquid goodness and poured it into my bowl. He thought he was real funny that night. This dessert is called a 'Baked Alaska'. I've never had a better dessert in my life. In fact, I will figure out how to make this bundle of joy one day. Those are not tomatoes on it, those are the most delicious dices of watermelon, and honeydew.


Here is our crew with the Carnival Crew. Paul on the far right, and our other server....Miguel? Jaime? I don't remember his name...he was from India...so maybe Miguel and Jaime are way off.

And there you have it! A week full of traveling, cruising, eating more than I thought I could ever eat, relaxing, and sadly but surely missing my Keizya baby back at home. We had such a fun time with our friendicles the Schoenicles....we love you guys! We can't wait for the next one! (in 10 years).

11 comments:

The Payne Family said...

Sounds like a blast. I am so jealous! Andy and I have always wanted to go on a cruise... one of these days we will. Glad you guys had a good time! We miss you a ton!! Love you!

The Johnson's said...

Way fun Nikki! I went on that same cruise years ago... It was way fun. We still need to get together... i keep saying that

Kandas said...

How fun!! I want to do something fun like that for graduation!! What a fun trip...and as for the baguette's, trust me it is possible to consume even more than that in 3 days. I love them!!!

Schoenstars said...

oh my...so many things to comment on. where do i even begin?

1) I love that first picture of you and me, under Gippy's life jacket picture. My hair is marvelous in that picture. Definite beauty queen material.

2) Thank you for not putting the ugly pics up of me actually singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Though, I'll definitely have to post my pics of Alvincible and Chris.

3) Way to go at keeping it G-rated. I know Ry and I didn't give you many pics to work with! But yes, we definitely loved each other that trip...until he turned in to Roldemort.

4)The Gauntlet

5)Let's not forget that Gippy and I not only ate our weight in twisties and baguettes, but also in shrimp.

6) His name was Robert. Don't know how I remember that.

Ashley Schoenfeld said...

I am soooo jealous! I try to get Mike to do fun things like that but then he brings me to the realization that.. Oh those cost money! Some day????? Miss you Kimmie is having a baby any day! We should go down to see her!

marnie and brett talbot said...

It sounds like you had a blast. Love the pics! Brett and I went on one last summer and loved it. If you guys make it this way for a visit there is a cruise port only 40 min away, we could all go on one!!!

Nick and Amera said...

wow!! wow wow wow wow wow wow!!! I am so jealous! I see those pictures and Its like a fairy tale to me. I might have to take nick and I on a cruise when he graduates!! How fun and I cant believe how beautiful those pictues are!!!!!! Wow is all I have to say! The views are so amazing .....even of the seagulls! haha jk. Im glad you guys took time for yourself's and a vaca. I know it was hard to leave kitty, but its aall part of learning to be a parent as well as a married couple. Balance....its hard---so Im very proud of your guys!! Love you Nikki!

Jon and Shiloh said...

That sounds like a ton of fun!! I'm so glad you guys got to get away and have some fun!! I LOVE the sunrise pic's...I'm a fan too!

stephanie said...

Hi Nikki! So good to see you! your little girl is so darling!!

A New Life Student said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I am sure it was fun to have a little time away. I'm coming home in a couple weeks and we definitely need to see each other.

Love you!

elder mcdonough said...

nikki, stephanie told me i could find you here. it is great to see you and your little baby girl!!! ;) it is so good to see you and i just love all the choices you have made in yor life since those good old gym days!!!!! you truely a great example