Thursday, July 29, 2010

Grandpa Shikashio

Grandpa you are a hero to thousands…and the greatest Grandpa to a few. We already miss you greatly but know that you are happy again.

Grandpa Shikashio died about one month after his 90th birthday. He had every strong positive characteristic that one could wish to obtain in their life time. He lived his life fully as Henry David Thorough wished to do , "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not when I came to die discover that I had not lived. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." Up to his last months of life he was still out and about gardening, working in his now historical garage, and spinning rocks from his back wheels of his pick up to "kill the weeds".

Although it was one of the hardest funerals I've been to, we were able to have some bittersweet moments with the family. My favorite was taking a tour of the few items Grandpa didn't sell in his garage that is pretty close to the coolest museum I've seen. His chair was still sitting in front of his wood fireplace and it felt really empty in there, but at the same time felt him very close.

Keizya was able to meet some cousins she doesn't really remember…and after 2 generations of marrying non Japanese spouses, they still look alike J


We managed to get some entire family pictures. Grandma Shikashio sits in the middle with her entire progeny surrounding her, minus Andy and his kids.

It was so good to see everyone again, since it is so rare that everyone is in the same place at once.

Love you Grandpa Shikashio!

2 comments:

Matt and Tiff said...

Sorry for your loss, Nikki. He sounded like a very neat man. I am glad you got to see a lot of your family. Love you:-)

Mitchell Family said...

I remember going and staying with them! I remember the store in the front of their house. I'm sorry about his passing but he definitely lived a great life it sounds like and will not be forgotten.